"Bildoj kaj demandoj" is a direct method course for beginners in Esperanto. "Direct method" means that only the language that you're learning, Esperanto in this case, is used in the course. That way, you start using the language immediately and it enters the mind more deeply. The direct method isn't right for everyone, but it's helpful for many. Try for yourself and see if you like the method and the course!
Flow of the course
It works this way: first, you see some pictures with explanations, and it's important that you pay special attention to the bold words or word elements. After several pictures with explanations, there will be pictures with questions about the thing previously shown. You respond to the questions yourself, to practice the words and grammar that you just learned. It continues in that fashion: first, pictures and explanations appear, then pictures with questions, until it's time for a small test. The tests will help you figure out whether you're ready to continue the course, or if you should spend some time repeating the previous parts. If you have more than 10 correct responses out of a possible 15, you can continue the course. If you have 10 or less, we recommend that you repeat the parts that you've already completed before continuing.
Words you should recognize
In the course, some words will appear without previous explanations, so we're giving their translations here.
- Bildo - picture, Bildoj - pictures
- Demando - question, Demandoj - questions
- Testo - test, Testoj - tests, Rezulto - result, El - from
- Ripetado - repetition, Parto - part
- Superrigardo - overview
- Sendu - send, Helpo - help
- Jes - yes, Bone - well, Korekte - correct, Nekorekte - incorrect
- Alternativoj - alternatives
- Provu denove - Try again
- Kio estas tio? - What is that?, Tio estas ... - That is...
- When you answer a question, the system will compare your response with several possible alternate responses. Since it's difficult to foresee every possible correct response, it could be that the system says that your response is not correct when in fact it is
- To see the alternatives that the system accepts, put the mouse pointer on top of the link "Helpo" next to the response field.
- If you don't understand a word, click on it and a translation will appear in the dictionary to the right.
- For the supersigns (for example, on 'ĉ') use the "x-method", i.e. "cx" for "ĉ", "sx" for "ŝ" etc.
- is for downloading the sound
- is for hearing the sound using the sound player
- It's very important to listen to the sentences and then to read them out loud yourself. That way, you will practice both listening and pronunciation.
- If anything is unclear or if you have a question, don't hesitate to write to a language helper in the language that you're using to read this text.
(Hokan LUNDBERG created the course. Helen CLAESSON drew the pictures. Aaron CHAPMAN recorded the sound.)
Starting now, almost everything will be in the international language Esperanto. Good luck!
Click on this arrow to start the course.