We recommend the following sequence of courses for learning Esperanto at lernu!. In general, we recommend finishing each course before progressing to the next one; however, if you find that the course "Bildoj kaj demandoj" doesn't hold your attention, you can go straight to "Ana Pana" without finishing it. The courses "Ana Pana", "Ana renkontas", and "Kio okazas?" are corrected by tutors who can answer your questions, so we strongly recommend completing those courses. lernu! has many more courses than the ones you see here; there is a complete list on the Courses page.
- About Esperanto - not a course, but a short description of the language; it's worth taking a quick look;
- Bildoj kaj demandoj - an introductory course taught by the direct method (in Esperanto only);
- Ana Pana - a basic level course, corrected by a tutor;
- Mi estas komencanto - an introductory course on everyday conversation;
- Jen nia IJK - an intermediate-level course with everyday language use by young people;
- Ana renkontas - an intermediate-level course, corrected by a tutor;
- Kio okazas? - an advanced-level course emphasizing writing skills, corrected by a tutor.
Learning support resources
lernu! resources to help you learn, practice your skills, and get to know the Esperanto community.
- Useful phrases: A list of the most popular phrases for various occasions.
- Picture dictionary: Words for various topics, illustrated with wonderful pictures.
- Flashcards: Helps you internalize words and find word lists of various types.
- Word of the day: Each day, you receive an Esperanto word with an explanation and examples of its use.
- Grammars: Basic (in English) and detailed (in Esperanto only) grammars for reference during your studies.
- Exercises: To check and confirm your acquired knowledge.
- Exams: To test your knowledge of the language in detail.
- Downloads: Downloadable books and parts of lernu! in PDF, HTML, and MP3 formats.
- Library: Contains audio and text examples of Esperanto literature and music.
- Dictionaries: Works when you click a word in any Esperanto text on this website, or you type something in the dictionary on the right side of the page.
- Instant messenger: To use the language in direct communication. You can find it on the lower right-hand side of the page.
- Forum: To discuss various topics, ask questions of other users, and get to know the lernu! community.